MONEY LAUNDERING DEFENCE LAWYERS SYDNEY
Money laundering refers to situations where you keep money that you know has been obtained through illegal criminal activity, or convert that money into property or other assets. It is also an offence to deal in the proceeds of crime, or property suspected of being proceeds of crime.
Section 193B of the Crimes Act 1900 (NSW) deals with the offence of “money laundering” and reads as follows:
(1) A person who deals with proceeds of crime:
(a) knowing that it is proceeds of crime, and
(b) intending to conceal that it is proceeds of crime,
is guilty of an offence. Maximum penalty: imprisonment for 20 years.
(2) A person who deals with proceeds of crime knowing that it is proceeds of crime is guilty of an offence. Maximum penalty: imprisonment for 15 years.
(3) A person who deals with proceeds of crime being reckless as to whether it is proceeds of crime is guilty of an offence. Maximum penalty: imprisonment for 10 years.
(4) It is a defence to a prosecution for an offence under this section if the defendant satisfies the court that the defendant dealt with the proceeds of crime to assist the enforcement of a law of the Commonwealth, a State or a Territory.
There are 3 different types of offences covered under Section 193B of the Crimes Act 1900 (NSW):
- If you deal with money that you know has been obtained through illegal criminal activity, and you use the money in order to conceal the fact that is has been obtained illegally.
- If you simply deal with money that you know has been obtained through illegal criminal activity but do not make any move to conceal the fact that is was obtained illegally.
- If you deal with money that has been obtained through illegal criminal activity but you were reckless as to whether it had been obtained through illegal criminal activity.
Sections 193C and others deal with proceeds of crime, which can also lead to civil proceedings, usually brought by the Crime Commission in secret, for the confiscation of various property, including in extreme cases the entire premises or house in which drugs are manufactured, for example.
We have experience in defending these charges, negotiating plea deals and dealing with sentences (including avoiding convictions) for these types of offences). We also have experience in dealing with civil proceeds of crime cases.
No matter what the degree, we are addicted to not only winning or achieving the best plea deal possible (depending on the case and your instructions), but doing it in the quickest, cheapest, and most impressive way possible. Each and every one of our clients can expect that from us in every matter we undertake.
We are a law firm located on the border of Sydney’s Eastern Suburbs and the CBD and have a notable 95% success rate. With over 20 years combined experience and over 1,000 cases, we have the knowledge, skill, and experience to achieve the result you want. It is our practicality, honesty, transparency, genuineness, determination devotion and tenacity that sets us apart in choosing who to protect your interests when dealing with your money laundering charge.
Our team has worked on complex trials for money laundering charges, matters pushing the creation of new precedents, and even matters in the High Court, and we have the knowledge, skill and experience allows us to approach charges of all types with ease and transparency, to alleviate anxiety and achieve the desired result.
We have close, excellent relationships with some of the best criminal barristers for money laundering charges in Sydney, ranging from junior counsel through to senior counsel, and we are known to and respected by judicial officer, our peers, prosecutors, Police, and other officials. We leverage these relationships to leave no stone unturned and ensure you have the best prospects for a plea deal or a defended trial when facing a money laundering charge, whichever way you decide to proceed following our honest advice.
We handle every case with efficiency, offer flexible meeting times and open communication, and remain discrete at all times.
If you or someone you know is facing a money laundering charge, contact our team today for a free initial consultation, and take the first step to securing the legal advice and assistance you deserve.
We speak your language, have an ability to identify and advance even the most invisible defence strategies quickly and skilfully. We take a strategical & practical approach, and our clients are always pleased with how quickly we cut through the red tape and get the job done.
We have transparent and reasonable fees, and new clients are regularly surprised with how up front and honest we are (and a standard 10% early-payment discount also helps).
Our communication is also regular, and we operate on full disclosure, so our clients are kept updated at every step of the way and across all the details of their matter or case.
Our staff are approachable, dedicated, and happy, and always available for a chat (or a pet, in the case of our dog), so feel free to get in touch for an initial consultation free of charge.